If you drink water straight from the tap, you’ve probably wondered how safe it would be at least once in a while.
The United States has some of the world’s safest drinking water supplies, but U.S. Environmental Protection Agency administrator Andrew Wheeler claimed that only about 92% of tap water can be considered free of contaminants.
If you want to improve the quality of tap drinking water for up to 20%, you can do so by installing a water filter system.
Simply put, the best faucet water filter in the market should be able to filter out potentially-harmful chemicals and substances from the water, which were not removed by water treatment facilities.
Water filters are completely different to water purifiers.
Water purifiers are designed to remove up to 99% of water contaminants. Meanwhile, water filters cannot handle highly-contaminated water and work in tandem with another water treatment system.
Differentiating these two types of products is important, so you have an idea which system you’ll need at home.
Brita Tap Water Filter System
DuPont WFFM100XCH Water Filter
MOST LONG LASTING
AMOYEE Faucet Mount Filter
10 Best Faucet Water Filter In the Market this 2019
Fixing your home faucet with the best faucet water filter has a lot of benefits. First off, there’s no more foul taste or smell. Then the removal of chlorine, micro plastics, nitrates and nitrites, heavy metals and microorganisms like Giardia and Cryptosporidium in your drinking water already improves the water significantly.
Faucet water filters are easy to install and they’re not expensive as most people think. Just check these 10 highly-recommended faucet water filters:
1.Engdenton Stainless Steel Faucet Water Filter
- Japan-made filter using ACF Technology
- High-quality stainless steel housing
- Works with standard faucets
There are two things to like about this faucet water filter by Engdenton.
First, it is made with super high-quality stainless steel housing that’s not only food grade, but also leakage-, explosion- and cracking-proof. Simply put, it was built to last (or at least up to 320 gallons of water filtered).
Second, the Engdention is designed with an advanced ACF (activated carbon fiber) filtration technology, which stops bacteria from growing in water and removes rust, sand, dirt and other contaminants. This tech is responsible for making water better-tasting and smelling.
If you’ve tried other water filters before (especially the PUR models), you’d know that some of them can be frustratingly-slow in filtering water. With the Engdenton faucet water filter, there won’t be any loss in water pressure, so the process of non-filtered tap water to filtered water takes almost no time.
The quick-release filtration rightly claims to filter half a gallon per minute. This is why it was also designed with a swivel function, so you can drink from the tap like a drinking fountain and avoid water splashing back at you.
There are no obvious signs that tell you that this Engdenton faucet water filter has reached its maximum life of 320 gallons, which lasts about 6 months for a household with an average-sized family. The main clue that it’s time to change filters is when the water pressure slows down, or taste of filtered water begins to change.
- Optional “expert install” with a slight fee
- Fast water filtration (about a minute for 8-ounce cup)
- Plus points for swivel function
- All metal construction
- Lasts only up to 320 gallons
2. PUR FM2500V Classic Faucet Mount Filter
- MAXION filter tech
- Reduces 99% of lead in water
- LED status indicator
PUR has been around for over 30 years, so the brand knows a thing or two about the best tech for water filtration. You can see and feel their expertise in this classic faucet mount filter, which attaches to any standard sink faucet quickly.
This particular model brings tap water through its MineralClear Filter’s three stages: sediment trapping, removal of microbial cysts and lead, then the actual water filtration. With MAXION filter technology, this PUR faucet mount filter is able to remove up to 99% of lead, mercury, pesticides and other contaminants.
There is one good thing and one bad thing about PUR’s classic faucet mount filter. The filter only lasts up to 100 gallons of water filtered, that’s around 2 months of use. Fortunately, you don’t have to buy another unit completely – you just need to buy replacement water filter (like this 3-pack from Waterdrop) and replace the old filter to continue enjoying superior water from the tap.
What I liked most about this is the LED indicator displaying the status of your unit’s filter. No more second-guessing or waiting for the odd-tasting water to come.
- Multiple-step water filtration
- LED indicator that displays filter status
- Changeable filter, no need to replace entire unit
- Life span per filter is only 100 gallons (about 2 or 3 months)
3. Brita Tap Water Filter System
- Replaces over 700 16-ounce plastic water bottles
- Filter change reminder
- Reduces lead and chlorine
The all-white Brita tap water filter system is definitely a looker. It is designed to remove at least 99% of lead, chlorine and other contaminants from tap water. Not only will this alter the taste of water, making it better-tasting for households with wells as water source, Brita’s faucet water filter also removes odor of possible asbestos or benzene contaminants that has been giving you a weird taste in the mouth that you’d probably couldn’t pinpoint.
The design of this Brita faucet water filter is like most modern models. It fits most faucets, except for the spray-type faucets. A notable feature is the filter change reminder, since there’s no other way to know that the filter has already reached its 100-gallon max lifetime.
- User-friendly installation, no tools required
- Replaceable filters, no need to buy whole unit
- Does not fit pull out and spray style faucets
- Light plastic construction
4. Instapure F2 ESSENTIALS Tap Water Filtration System
- ANSI/NSF-certified to filter out chlorine
- Uses coconut carbon
- Has access to unfiltered water simultaneously
It’s been almost 50 years since Instapure first release its F2 water filtration system and this version is from a long line of filters developed since then, so expect it to work flawlessly (unless you’ve received a dud of course).
The Instapure F2 ESSENTIALS is award-winning and certified ANSI/NSF for Chlorine taste and odor reduction (about 97%). It’s also designed to remove 99% of Lead, VOC’s and Microbial Cysts. And because this model uses high-quality coconut carbon, which doesn’t contain silver, it absorbs harmful substances for that great-tasting water to filter out.
Probably the most attractive feature of the Instapure F2 faucet water filter is that it is built with a lever, which gives you a choice between filtered or unfiltered water. This way, you can get unfiltered water for washing dirt off and stick to the F2 with more sensitive things like filling up drinking water bottles or washing plates.
- No tools needed for installation
- Choose from filtered and unfiltered water anytime
- Uses coconut carbon to absorb contaminants
- Change filters after 3 months, instead of buying a new kit
- No indicator when to replace filter
5. Waterdrop Water Faucet Filtration System
- Removes fluoride, lead and chlorine
- Lasts 3 months or more
- Replaces about 2,000 16.9-ounch bottled water per filter
Waterdrop has been providing a wide range of water filtration systems at an affordable price for years. They’re mostly known for the filter replacement packs, but the company has also launched several faucet water filters that compete with older brands.
This 320-Gallon Faucet Water Filter version removes lead, fluoride and chlorine, thanks to its innovative filtration technology and ACF material that allows for quick water filtering.
Waterdrop designed this unit to process tap water in several stages: first through a stainless steel mesh to remove large particles, next with another layer for sifting out rust, sand or other solids, followed by removal of 93% chlorine with activated carbon fiber (ACF), and lastly through an advanced filtration stage to reduce fluoride and lead. After these stages, there are two extra steps for removing more tiny particles like sand and bigger contaminants.
It has a standard maximum lifetime of about 3 months (or 320 gallons of water), which means you’d have to replace the filter when filtered water doesn’t come out as quickly as its first install (you can fill up four 16.9-ounce bottles of water in a minute). Take note, water pressure decreases as the filter ages, so this should give you a clue when it will require a replacement soon.
Fortunately, Waterdrop has different filter replacement packs available, so it isn’t difficult to switch to a new filter.
- 30-day money-back guarantee, 1-year warranty in parts
- Very user-friendly installation
- Does not fit sensor-equipped faucets or pull-out spray-style faucets
6. Culligan FM-25 Faucet Mount Filter with Advanced Water Filtration
- Allows use of filtered and tap water simultaneously
- Advanced filtration beyond just chlorine and lead
- Comes with adapted to accommodate all types of sink nozzles
One look at the Culligan FM-25 faucet mount filter and you know it’s a well-designed, properly-executed water filter.
While it’s slightly more expensive than other brands on this list, the Culligan unit is worth checking out because it boasts of an advanced water filtration beyond the typical chlorine, fluoride and lead. Culligan’s faucet mount filter is designed to reduce Lindane, Atrazine, turbidity, and particulates class I as well.
The Culligan FM-25 faucet mount filter require no tools during installation. It’s quick to attach to your current set-up, except if you have drop-down faucets.
When filtering, this Culligan faucet water filter is a bit slower than its competitors (at 0.5 gallons-per-minute flow rate at 60 psi), but it can beat almost any brand taste-wise. Because it targets removing more harmful substances than other models, this Culligan FM-25 faucet mount filter produces better-smelling and better-tasting water hands-down.
The first filter lasts for about 200 gallons worth of filtered water, which is typically for 2-3 months depending on the number of people per household. Unfortunately, replacing the filter can be difficult since the filter sticks to the unit very effectively as one would hope.
- The switch that lets you choose from tap to filtered water
- Unobtrusive and easy to install
- Pull-pin design makes it very easy to access filtered water
- It can be difficult to remove for replacement
7. Hima Faucet Water Filter
- Made of high-quality stainless steel
- Removes more heavy metals than other brands
- Impressive water pressure
Hima isn’t as popular as Culligan, DuPont or Instapure, but it’s becoming a favorite because of its unique way of filtering water.
The Hima faucet water filter was designed with 8 layers of filtering materials, from ceramics to maifan stone, alkaline ball to tourmaline, negative ion sphere, blue multi-function ball, activated alumina ball and barbed wire – all of which work to remove heavy metals, chlorine and other impurities from the tap water. In turn, this intense filtration process leads to improved water taste and odor.
Surprisingly, for such an advanced filtration process, the gallons-per-minute flow rate remains at a favorable rate. This model gets plus points for the user-friendly on/off switch, letting you pick from filtered to straight-from-tap water if needed.
- Removes chlorine bubbles from tap water
- Very effective in removing yucky tap water taste
- Overall good design
- Many styles of faucets do not fit (Check guide first to see if it could accommodate yours)
8. DuPont WFFM100XCH Premier Faucet Mount Drinking Water Filter
- Comes from a well-known brand
- Expertly removes chlorine from tap water
- Built-in Micro ban Antimicrobial product protection
DuPont has plenty of experience in the field of water filtration, so it’s not surprising that the DuPont WFFM100XCH Premier Faucet Mount Drinking Water Filter made this list. This particular product improves the taste and odor of unsafe and unfiltered water by filtering out cysts, chlorine, asbestos, benzene, lead, mercury, small and large sediments, among other particles.
DuPont’s Premier Vertical Faucet Mount System uses 100 series filter, which lasts for about 100 gallons of water filtered. What makes this unit stand out from other brands is that the cartridge housing is equipped with Micro ban Antimicrobial product protection that extends the life and improves performance of the filter.
The side of this DuPont WFFM100XCH faucet water filter has an on/off switch, which you can alternate if you wish to get water straight off the tap for washing dishes, or filtered for refilling bottles. When the filter is on, it would take you about 4 to 8 seconds to fill up a standard 8-ounce glass.
- Compatible with almost all types of faucets
- Removes more than the regular chlorine and small particles
- Can fit DuPont or other brand of filter replacement
- No filter change reminder
9. AMOYEE Faucet Mount Filter
- Removes iron particles, chlorine and other harmful substances
- Durable stainless steel construction
- Doesn’t affect water pressure
AMOYEE is a Chinese brand, but this faucet mount filter actually competes well with well-known water filtration brands. Just don’t take the installation instructions seriously (you’ll find better luck following instructions of fellow AMOYEE owners who have successfully installed this unit).
Aside from the confusing installation guide, everything else is user-friendly. It’s a set-and-forget system, so once the filter has been fitted into your faucet, just enjoy better tasting water straight from your tap.
The AMOYEE faucet mount filter deals with dirt, rust, sediment, bacteria and other organic matter that may be harmful to human consumption, then leaves you with odor-free filtered water with minerals retained after the process.
Another good thing about the AMOYEE faucet mount filter is that it is designed with rust-proof, non-corroding, leak-free food grade 304 stainless steel casing.
- Heavy duty stainless steel materials
- advanced ultrafiltration technology with filtering accuracy of 0.01 micron
- Improves water pressure
- Confusing installation guide
10. Lelekey Water Faucet Filtration System
- Lightweight, space-saving and non-obstructive
- Comes with universal threaded connectors to fit with incompatible faucets
- Switch between regular and filtered water
Lelekey’s water faucet filtration system looks compact and lightweight, but it is actually a powerful water filter. It is equipped to filter out dust, rust, heavy metals, chlorine, sediments, and other harmful substances, while removing weird taste and smell from your tap water.
What you don’t see is that inside, Lelekey’s system filtrates double-time thanks to the coconut shell activated carbon (made from a mix of charcoal and hard coconut shell). It also has several materials embedded into the filter, including ceramic (to remove sand and rust), nano silver antibacterial ball (as bleaching element), miner balls (to reduce microorganisms), and PP cotton (for heavy metals removal). The last stages go through medical stones (that are responsible for retaining minerals) and stainless steel strainer (to filter the remaining impurities before release).
This filtration system isn’t compatible with many faucet styles, but it makes up for it by including five different tap adapters and a universal connector designed to fit different thread taps.
Both the Lelekey water faucet filtration system and the replacement filter packs are inexpensive. Using them would still bring you so much savings than sticking to bottled water for drinking and cooking.
- Filters up to 320 gallons of water per filter
- Changeable filters, no need to replace entire unit
- 0.5 gallons-per-minute water flow
- Unknown brand
Factors To Consider When Buying the Best Faucet Water Filter
When shopping around for faucet water filters, there are several things you should look out for. These include:
- Faucet compatibility – Not all water filters can fit into your faucet. The brands are usually open about this and include which faucet types a particular model cannot accommodate, so make sure to read the product description carefully.
- Chemical removal – What kinds of substances can the water filter system remove? Some households have wells as water sources, others have lead-filled water from the tap, and most people suffer from overly-chlorine tap water. Identifying how a water filter can help your specific dilemma is a consideration worth a second look.
- Presence of activated carbon block – Many modern water filters are equipped with an activated carbon block and two or more substances to fight fungi, bacteria and other harmful chemicals inside the unit’s cartridge.
- Water pressure – Some faucet water filters affect water pressure, while others don’t. This is very important because if it does affect pressure, it would lengthen the time you fill up bottles, get water for cooking, and completing other kitchen activities.
- Price – This consideration isn’t just about the price tag of the unit. You should also consider the number of months a filter can last, and how much the replacement filters cost to get a full picture. Know that some filters are replaceable and you’d only need extra filters, while others are not (you’d have to buy an entire unit completely).
These are just the basic considerations to look out for when shopping for your faucet water filter. Other factors may be needed for special situations, such as installing this filter in your RV.
Wrapping Up: The Best Faucet Water Filter for You
If you’re just trying out a faucet water filter and you’re not interested in shelling out a ton of cash, the Brita Tap Water Filter System is a good enough kit to get you started.
For those who want something that could work longer than the average 2 to 3 months, AMOYEE Faucet Mount Filter can reportedly provide filtered water for 3 to 5 months. Of course, the number of people in your household and how much water you and your family consume each day.
There’s no competition for the best faucet water filter with numerous features. DuPont WFFM100XCH Premier Faucet Mount Drinking Water Filter makes everything look easy, from installing the unit to actual replacement of new filters.
The best faucet water filter is the one that fits your faucet perfectly and removes the type of particles most prevalent in your water source. For example, if your water comes from a well and dust normally passess through the tap, look for a faucet water filter that has multiple filtering stages to remove these impurities and allow you to drink healthier water.